The book starts out like most Meyer books and while it could probably be at once gripping to a Joyce Meyer rookie, it wasn't for me, just because I've read some of her works before.
This book picked up middle way and struck a cord with me several times. I started reading this book at a time I really did need a boost of confidence because I had just started working again for a company I used to work for before I went full time working for the ministry. It helped me tremendously and I'm definitely happy I decided to read this books all the way through.
Here are some points I highlighted in the book:
- Confidence allows us to face life with boldness, openness, and honesty. It enables us to love without worry and to feel safe. It enables us to live authentically. We don't have to pretend to be someone we're not, because we are secure in who we are--even if we are different from those around us. I firmly believe that confidence gives us permission to be different, to be unique.
- People with low confidence, on the other hand, are not sure about anything. They are double-minded, indecisive people who constantly get frustrated with life. If they do make a decision, they are tormented by self-doubt. They second-guess themselves. As a result, they don't live boldly.
- Fear does not mean you are a coward. It only means that you need to be willing to face fear and do what you need to do anyway.
- Preparation equips us to move confidently.
- Don't despise the days of small beginnings. The small beginnings are usually all we can handle at the time. God will give more when He knows we are ready. Enjoy every step of your journey. Don't be in such a hurry to rush through things that you miss the lessons you can draw from each day.
- Prayer makes tremendous power available.
- God uses men and women who are set on obeying and pleasing Him, not those who are controlled by the fear of man. We all want to be liked and accepted but we cannot let that desire control us.
- The best way to overcome anything is to expose it. Anything hidden has power over us, but once it is brought into light, it can be dealt with and overcome.
- Confidence is holding on to a strong faith in God, a faith that is backed up with a complete knowledge and understanding that with God's help, you can do anything.
- Putting something off does not make it go away, it only allows more time to torment you. As Christians with the power of the Holy Spirit inside of us, surely we can manage to do an unpleasant task without dreading it and with a good attitude. God's power is not available just to make unpleasant things in our lives go away, it is frequently available to walk us through them courageously.